I do not know how many of you frequent Saveur.com or receive the magazine, but I love both! They recently listed the editors tops 25 recipes - I am going to be featuring ones that I have tried! Many of the recipes can be time consuming, but they are well worth it!
For those of you that seem daunted by the recipes just remember a few simple rules that I live by in the kitchen:
1. Read the recipe thoroughly several times to familiarize yourself with it.
2. Make your shopping list while having the recipe on hand.
3. Don't skimp on key ingredients.
4. Baking is a science, so unless you have mastered a recipe, follow it to a "T."
A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.
Photo: Michael Kraus
Chocolate Cream Pie
(adapted from Saveur)
Serves: 8 – 12
* 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes & chilled
* 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1 9-oz. package chocolate graham crackers, finely ground (2 1/4 cups)
* 3 1/2 cups half-and-half
* 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 9 egg yolks
* 9 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
* 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
* 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
* 2 cups heavy cream
* Dark chocolate, grated for garnish
1. Heat oven to 375°.
2. Grease bottom and sides of a 9" glass pie plate with cooking spray & set aside.
3. Heat 8 tbsp. of butter and brown sugar in a 1-qt. saucepan until sugar dissolves.
4. Transfer butter mixture to a medium bowl & stir in ground graham crackers.
5. Place mixture in pie plate & press into bottom and sides, using the bottom of a heavy glass to compress crust.
6. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
7. Bake until set, about 15 minutes & cool completely.
8. Heat half-and-half in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat until it just begins to simmer, then remove pan from heat.
9. In a large bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch.
10. Add egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
11. Drizzle half-and-half into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth. 12. Return mixture to saucepan & heat over medium heat.
13. Cook, stirring often, until bubbles rise to the surface and mixture is very thick, about 3–4 minutes.
14. Remove pan from heat and add remaining butter and chocolates in small batches, whisking vigorously until smooth.
15. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
16. Set a sieve over a medium bowl and strain chocolate mixture.
17. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic onto surface and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
18. Remove plastic wrap from chocolate filling and stir mixture until smooth.
19. Spoon mixture into graham crust, forming a dome, and smooth surface with the spatula.
20. In a large bowl, whisk remaining sugar, vanilla, & heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
21. Spread on top of filling, forming a dome.
22. Sprinkle some of the dark chocolate onto top of pie.
23. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.
Have a great day and until tomorrow: Go Ahead & Indulge!