-Edward Sandford Martin
Hello! Sorry to not have posted in almost a month - time flies when you are having fun!! Life just has a way of throwing a kink into the best laid plans and something has to give and blogging is always the first to go! Enjoy today's recipe, it is my husbands requested dish for Thanksgiving!!
Roasted Vegetables with Chestnuts
* 3/4 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
* 2 cups parsnips, peeled & diced
* 2 cups carrots, peeled & diced
* 1 bulb fennel quartered, cored, & diced (reserve fronds)
* 10-12 garlic cloves, peeled
* 1 tsp sage minced
* 1 tsp rosemary minced
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* Salt and black pepper to taste
* 1 cup chestnuts, peeled, cooked & halved
* 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
* 1 Tbsp basil minced
* 1 Tbsp minced fennel fronds (feathery ends of the bulb)
1.) 2 Large Bowls
2.) Baking sheet
3.) Aluminum foil
4.) Non-stick spray
5.) Large oven safe platter
1.) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2.) Line baking sheet with foil, coat with nonstick spray.
3.) Mix sprouts, parsnips, carrots, fennel, garlic, sage, rosemary, & oil in bowl.
4.) Season well with salt and pepper.
5.) Arrange veggie mixture onto sheet pan in single layer.
6.) Set bowl aside for additional use.
7.) Add chestnuts to bowl; stir to coat with oil & herbs that remain in bowl.
8.) Set aside chestnuts.
9.) Roast veggie mixture 15 min, stir.
10.) Continue roasting about 15 min, until just starting to brown.
11.) Add chestnuts and roast 5 min more, to heat through.
12.) Transfer mixture to large bowl.
13.) Add apple cider vinegar, basil, and fennel fronds.
14.) Season to taste with salt; stir to blend.
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson