When the great sun has turned his face away,
The earth goes down into a vale of grief,
And fasts, and weeps, and shrouds herself in sables,
Leaving her wedding-garlands to decay -
Then leaps in spring to his returning kisses.
Hello! I live in upstate New York, so soup is always welcomed, especially in winter. For those of you living in warmer climates, soup may not be needed to ward off the chills - however, it is always sure to "warm" you in other ways! Enjoy!
"Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. They probably get jet-lagged, just like people."
Moroccan Lentil & Chick Pea Soup
Cost Per Serving: $2.25
* 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 cup (8 oz) mirepoix (finely chopped carrots, celery and onion)
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 16 oz organic green lentils, sorted and rinsed
* 1 can (28 oz) cut roma tomatoes with seasonings
* 2 cartons (32 oz each) vegetable stock
* 1 tsp coriander seed or ground coriander
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 can (15.5 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
* 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
* Salt to taste
* Hand-held or regular blender
1.) Heat stockpot on medium and once warmed, add olive oil.
2.) Add mirepoix and garlic. Cook, stirring, 5-6 min, until soft but not browned.
3.) Stir in lentils, tomatoes, stock, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne.
4.) Cook, covered, 20-25 min.
5.) Puree briefly (15 secs) with hand-held blender or in regular blender, just to thicken (don't puree all the lentils).
6.) Return to stockpot if you used a regular blender.
7.) Stir in garbanzo beans and cilantro.
8.) Season to taste with salt.
9.) Simmer about 5 min on medium until heated through.
"Great eaters and great sleepers are incapable of anything else that is great."
-Henry IV of France
Enjoy the day and remember: Go Ahead & Indulge!